Thursday, January 14, 2010

In Need of a Weekend?


How about a long one? Oh yes please and thank you! This weekend's plans are to take it as it comes, sleep-in, read, workout, eat, relax and let go, all comes down to some fun.

I started off the weekend by sleeping in a bit, but not too much that you feel like the day is gone. Erik and I went in search of a hike. We drove across town to Baker Park Reserve, and drove around the beautiful country in search of some hiking trails. We could have driven right onto the lake if desired in my little focus. We did find that entrance to the park. We finally found our way to the winter recreation area and found out that there are little to no hiking trails. They pointed us in the direction of one but made no guarantees about it's condition. We found the trudged on trail that looked like it was used by many different users: snowshoers, skiers, hikers, coyote, rabbits, mice, and the song birds (nuthatch, chickadee, and downy woodpecker). Our feet slipped into the snow on the side of the packed down trail making for not quite great hiking, but that was okay as we were enjoying being out and about.


Then we drove into Excelsior and walked around the quaint downtown. We ate at Jake O'Connor's. It was a great place to have lunch. We also stopped into a little overstocked-little-bit-of-everything store, Leopold's, because of the cat in the store's doorway. The cat's name is Boots and is a sweetheart - definitely a great cat for a store.

I finished Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. It was a good read. I liked it a lot, which is obvious because I finished it so quickly. I liked how there was always a turn of adventure and it is based on a true story, the story of the author's grandmother. I also liked the short chapters inside longer ones. They were sort of like bursts of information. I haven't read Jeannette Wall's other book The Glass Castle, but I might have to put it on my to read list, which seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.

No comments: