Monday, February 1, 2010

Last week I went to see Will Steger speak at the Freshwater Society's kickoff event for the Year of Water 2010. His speech was about global warming. His story about how it took him and a crew 30 days to cross the Larsen A and B ice shelves on dogsled was particularly heart breaking because today those shelves have disintegrated, Larsen A ice shelf broke up in 1995 and then B ice shelf in 2002.

You can watch his presentation too...

Freshwater Society presents Will Steger from Freshwater Society on Vimeo.

Katie and I had a nice trip to the MOA on Friday. We both walked away with plenty. It was nice to hang out with her and of course tap her fashion sense, because she definitely got more of that than I did, but that is okay with me.

Saturday I slept the morning away. Sort of nice, but one of those things I feel guilty about and probably needed at the same time. In the afternoon I went out to my parents and hung out with my Mom. We played with Sonny and went on a nice walk to wear him out. My Dad went to Costco on his way back from watching some of his pitcher's play other sports. He bought a huge pack of pork chops, so I was the happy recipient of dinner. I also brought home Nutella and a loaf of rye bread and I didn't even go shopping. I do have a request by my Dad to make self-frosting nutella cupcakes. I think I'll have to make them soon or the nutella will be gone!

Erik used the grill pan and seared the pork chops and then we baked them to finish and had them with a simple salad. Last night we made calzones with other pork chop and Erik seasoned it with italian seasonings, which made it taste a bit like italian sausage. We had that with spinach, a pesto sour cream sauce, mushrooms and green onion with cheese in our calzones.

We've been trying to do our part in keeping the Earth cool by leaving the thermostat down. I've been sleeping better, maybe part due to it being cooler and maybe part to letting go of my worries. It has been mostly good, but it is hard to get out of bed when it gets chilly. Tonight my toes are a little chilled and I've been wrapped in a blanket much of the night. The candle above is a Thymes Frasier Fir candle. I love it. I've been burning it quite a bit lately. It smells so nice!

Today and tonight we are getting a few inches of sparkly snow. I found it very sparkly tonight on my drive home. It is beautiful! I'd love to spend tomorrow out in it! Maybe I'll have to see about a walk over lunch.

I've been thinking quite a bit about the Buffalo Tri that I'm doing in June. I've been working out but I need to put it in high gear if I'd like to do better than last year. I signed up for a 5K run around St. Patty's so hopefully that will get me geared up to be outside a bit more. I've been reading magazines about training and eating right and some magazines not about that. I've been hooked on magazines the past few weeks. We have a generous pile on our end table right now.

1 comment:

Abby Jones said...

Your pictures and descriptions of the pork chop meals are making my mouth water! :)